According to a recent survey conducted by PawSheets, the top challenge of dog owners is keeping their dog’s bed clean and odor free.
This is no surprise. There are more styles for dog beds than ever before. Even for not-so-big dogs, extra large dog beds, bolster dog beds and couch type beds are becoming very popular.
According to International Scientific Forum on Home Hygiene (IFH), a dog bed should be washed once a week. Germs and other nasty stuff can live on a dog bed for up to 12 months! The large and extra large dog beds present more of a challenge. Removing a stinky, hairy cover is not fun, and refitting the washable cover is no easy task.
If you are like me, washing a couple large dog beds (or even the covers) every week is a bit more than I can handle. I find that there are several reasons for this:
- My dog beds are too big for the washing machine – so need to go the laundromat.
- What if the dog bed cover shrinks at a high temperature making putting it back on next to impossible?
- What if the dog bed cover zipper wears out?
I don’t know about you but washing the dog bed cover ends up at the bottom of my weekend ‘to do” list – right after cleaning the garbage cans.
Tips to Help Keep The Dog Bed Clean
Keep in mind the longer you wait to wash the dog bed, the harder it will be to get it clean. So here are a few tips to help keep a dog bed clean and odor free:
- Buy beds with a removable, washable cover and a good zipper.
- If you dog tends to have wetting issues, trying enclosing the mattress in a large plastic bag and then put the cover over the bag.
- Vacuum the bed daily. Use a pet hair sticky roller to remove the stubborn hair.
- Make a deodorizer spray with some baking soda, essential oil (lavender, lemongrass) and water. Spray the bed daily.
- Some people spray the dog bed with Febreze®. If you do, I would suggest spraying the underside of the dog bed in case of a sensitivity.
- Do not let it get too stinky. If it does, it may be time for a new bed.
- Try using a durable dog bed sheet – or two. PawSheets are made with plenty of fabric and big enough to use two at once.
- I use two PawSheets and wash the top one weekly. Then if the underneath one is still fresh, I use it on top of a fresh PawSheet.
The Best Tip to Solve Dog Bed Odor
Extra large, XXL and fancy dog beds look great when they are new. The best tip is to think about how easy or difficult it will be to keep the bed clean and fresh – before you buy.
Have any other ideas for keeping you dog’s bed fresh? Please share with us.